Saturday, February 15, 2020

Reading: Knitting Patterns and Baby Yoda


Sometimes knitting patterns are for very useful things, like socks, or dishcloths, or sweaters.  Sometimes you knit something just for fun.  For the past 10 days or so, I have spent most of my free time reading a very special knitting pattern.

If you have watched The Mandalorian, you are familiar with The Child, a.k.a Baby Yoda.  If you haven't watched the series, you've most likely seen the social media memes featuring that cute little Yoda face!  I was talking to a friend whose wife loves Baby Yoda. “I bet I could find a pattern to knit her a Baby Yoda,” I said.  And sure enough, thanks to the internet, there were a few pattern options.  I chose one by Addie.
 
Now, I’ve been knitting for over 40 years, so I thought this would be easy.  But this is how the pattern started:
Head (begin by working  widest part of head up to crown). Using scrap yarn, US #3 dpns, and crochet hook, CO 80 sts with the provisional cast on method.

Whaaaa…?  With some help from YouTube, I tried this new-to-me method of casting on.  Things didn't turn out exactly like the pattern said they should, and I'm pretty sure I need more practice.  There was a lot of specific knitting vocabulary in the 8 page pattern (i-cord, gauge, knitwise), plus all sorts of knitting abbreviations (M1, Ssk, K, P, K2tog, CO, p2tog tbl).  Plus, the pattern suggested buttons for eyes, while I stuck on two animal noses.  Still, my end result was pretty adorable, and my friend scored major Valentine points with his wife.  Here's the selfie I took with the finished product.




Somebody said (I've seen it on T-shirts), "Knitting is not a hobby, it’s a post-apocalyptic life skill."  Reading knitting patterns is an example of authentic literacy.  I've moved on to reading a nice simple seed stitch hat pattern.


Cheryl Brown (@CherylAnneBrown) is co-creator of the Storytent and Bookwagon programs, QLNB's Community Literacy Coordinator, and long-time advocate for and facilitator of a variety of family literacy initiatives.  In these posts, she has been documenting and sharing snap-shots of some of her daily reading.